Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Yoga Training

I recently completed teacher training at Hot Yoga on 20th after an intensive three month program instructed by Dallas Kruszelnicki. Hot Yoga on 20th is a beautiful purpose-built yoga studio which just opened up over a year ago and is conveniently only a 10 minute walk from my house. As of the New Year, there are many new classes being offered (check out their schedule), and new students can go to unlimited classes for a week for just $20 which is an awesome deal. I taught my first class there last Tuesday and will hopefully continue to teach every other Tuesday night at 8 pm; alternating with Wendy, one of the other five fabulous teacher trainees with whom I completed the training.

What really got me started on this yoga teaching journey was my two children. I had been practicing yoga on and off for a few years and somehow picked up a few children’s yoga videos to do with Finnegan and Keira. One thing lead to another and I decided I’d like to offer a class for young kids in our neighbourhood and arrangements were easily made with our local community association to host a class. Having committed myself to teaching a class it quickly dawned on me that though I enjoyed practicing yoga, I really had no clue about teaching it! Fate must have played a hand as I serendipitously learned about Kathleen’s Yoga Studio – Namaskar Yoga and a Level 1 workshop was being offered with perfect timing. While I was crazy nervous at that first workshop, the yoga teaching bug stuck and I’ve been working towards a 200 hour RYT certificate for the past year and a half. This weekend I’ll be completing the 8th out of ten 20 hour workshops.

No comments:

Post a Comment